Tuesday 31 March 2015

Wrestling and Comics: My Little Pony

Not a hoax, not an imaginary story! It's My Little Pony's EWE (Equestria Wrestling Entertainment)'s Championship Main Event!

You don't know My Little Pony? Welcome to my age group! A friend sent me the following scans from a comic book he bought for his daughter:


I was quite excited to find something that I never figured would exist: My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic #29.

MLP is a Hasbro toy line of diminutive Equus Caballus with colorful manes and distinctive tattoos (or "cutie marks").

Similar to He-Man, the toy line franchise was promoted with TV series, movies and comic books and according to Wikipedia was "moderately successful until the beginning of the 2010s when its popularity drastically exploded into previously undreamed of demographic groups such as teenage boys and adult men and women".

Adult men and women? Get a life! Why don't you start watching pro wrestling instead?

Anyhoo, this particular comic book series has been published by IWD Publishing since 2012.

I don't know much about the content of the stories, it's probably about little ponies doing what they do best, whatever that is.

Which brings us to the MLP/Wrestling crossover.

"Cherilee gets a visit from her sister who happens to be one of the most famous wrestlers in Equestria! A long-simmering grudge between the siblings threatens to explode unless Rarity and friends can figure out a way for the two to mend hurt feelings."

Not to spoil too much, but apparently, they do manage to figure out a way for the two sisters to get along again and win the championship along the way.

It's a sweet story, has really cute drawings, but if I hadn't read the title, I would have thought they were cats...

Still, really fun, if only for novelty value.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cure Your Allergies At Home